The Lewis Man - Peter  May Okay, disclaimer first: I am a friend of Mary Alex, the ‘real’ Morag. In fact, she’s the one who advised me to read Peter May’s books, without telling me of her involvement! I know Dino, the yorkie that thinks he’s human and I’ve been to some great ceilidhs in the big white house and have taken the mickey out of Mary Alex for the christmas lights!

When I reviewed the first book in the series, I did not know of my ‘connection’ and I gave the book 5 stars. This second book is just as good, just as intense. I love Peter May’s writing style, gritty and tense. I am also really impressed by the way he touches upon a pretty sad chapter of Scottish history, the children in the orphans’ homes and the ones sent to the isles for cheap labour. It would be dishonest to say that I wasn’t delighted to read about ‘my part of the world’ – South Uist and Eriskay – but it was the overall storyline that gripped me. I like the fact that May’s characters have flaws, not a Mary Sue in sight. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes murder mysteries that are not straight-forward good v evil, but have many twists and turns.